Friday, January 21, 2011

Scrapbook Paper as Art

Have you ever gone to a specialty scrapbook store just to drool over the lovely papers found there?  I sure have.  I'm not a scrapbooker but when I see those artistic papers I can't help but try to figure out where I can use them.  A friend just asked for some ideas of what to do with her inherited stash of gorgeous paper, so here are some ideas. 

A while back I showed you a project I helped a friend with:
She had a huge wall that needed something big, yet didn't cost too much.  We found a Ginormous frame at a garage sale, painted out the background, and then mod podged scrapbook paper she had selected.

Here are a whole bunch of other ideas I've found using scrapbook paper:


(dollarstorecraftsjr)

(jcaroline)

(moneysavingmom)




















 You can find square frames at places like IKEA, dollar stores, and Kirklands.  Or skip the frames and just mount the paper on wood squares or foam.

(casacullen)
I like how this gal found these pre-matted $5.99 frames at Michael's, added the paper and grouped them together to make a bigger impact.

(BHG)
I love breaking out of the mold of the square frame and placing the paper in chunky mats.  Very artsy!


(BHG)
While these are framed fabric, this unique arrangements would work well with paper.

I personally like mixing in family photos like in the arrangement on the left (sorry for the cruddy quality.)


(lifecraftsandwhatever)
We've seen all these tile mosaic art pieces in Restoration Hardware and Pottery Barn. You could make one easily.  But the cost of the tile and the weight would be crazy.  This lady made hers from paint sample chips and you could do the same with scrapbook paper. See how she did it here.  I like the metallic glaze she did over the top of it.



(remodelholic)
Here's another version of the mosaic. See her tutorial here.


(AndThen...)
This whole playroom wall was covered in scrapbook paper!  Perhaps a bit bold, but you get the idea.






These paper butterfly specimen art go from simple to very detailed.  You can just use a butterfly-shaped paper cutter or print out butterfly shapes from online and use delicated scissors to cut out varied shapes out of your paper.  I don't know about you, but I'm going to start snatching up shadow boxes and deep frames at goodwill!



I LOVE these ones!  While the shapes are all the same, they made each butterfly out of 3 layers.  So pretty!


 


These are basically the same idea as the butterflies, instead, fold your scrapbook paper into origami cranes, flowers or whatever shape you want.

(curbly)
These paper chains were made from scrapbook paper, shaped in to squares and framed for a unique piece of art.

(hollydollydoodar)

This creative art was made with textured wallpaper as the background and the flower pieced together from scrapbook paper.  Lovely, huh? Reminds me of a quilt.



(wheelerthree)

These would be easy to do using a piece of plywood or mdf, paint a background, a branch and then make your blossoms out of scrapbook paper (look for tutorials of flowers online-they're everywhere!)

From very simple to very artistic.  Hope you found some ideas to decorate using such a gorgeous and inexpensive resource.




12 comments:

  1. Love these ideas! Especially the flowers and butterflies. Time to get out the stash and start getting creative :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks awesome! They are all (fairly) simple and yet have such a HUGE impact. I am going to have to try this. I like the idea of mounting it on wood (or canvas).

    Thnx for sharing all these great ideas!

    A.Co @ A.Co est. 1984

    PS - Loooove the basement! The slide is AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! What a great idea to frame scrapbook paper! Thanks for the idea... now on to finding some 12x12 frames...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I picked you for the Stylish Blogger Award! Go check out my blog to see what it's all about!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, thank you for featuring my paint chip wall art! Do you have a featured button I can place on my blog?

    jenfur427 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just highlighted this post on my blog. Thanks! I love all these ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog and I love it! My husband and I are starting to fix up a house. Your blog will help inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to do this over the summer as a craft! How do you secure the butterflies inside the frame/on paper?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome POST!!! You have done a great job. I will definitely dig it and personally recommend to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this site. Direct to Garment Printer

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey – great blog, just looking around some blogs, seems a really nice platform you are using. I’m currently using WordPress for a few of my blogs but looking to change one of them over to a platform similar to yours as a trial run. Buy Real Human Skull

    ReplyDelete
  11. Get an individual relating to seeking myself to many established that will benevolents professional dint functionality parts. My partner and i perform obtained sag sage ease relating to attain impromptu classs My partner and i brighter frequented. Amidst that will unparalleled, We're confident connected with reduce short-term. Applied Mathematics 2

    ReplyDelete
  12. Clarification post! I really like and appreciate your efforts, thank you for sharing useful knowledge about blog strategy I heard I like
    Thai Boxingt

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails