Saturday, September 10, 2011

Numbered Rustic Dresser

Here was another fun, yet easy project.  I found this dresser for free, sitting with someone's trash.  I quickly examined it and the whole thing was sound and the drawers even had dove-tail joints.  Yippeee!  I knew right away what I was going to do to it.  I'd seen lots of Anthropologie knock-offs around blogland and saw that the dresser's shape would be perfect for this style.






















           Mine- Free + elbow grease                                              Anthropologie's- $900!

Once again, in my excitement I forgot the true before picture.  I had just applied the paint stripper when I remembered to take a photo.  So just imagine this ugly brown color plus about 5 large stickers:


Yup, not too pretty.  I used one coat of citri-solve paint stripper and then 3 rounds of hand sanders (from a belt sander to a hand orbital to a final of a mouse sander.)    Then I applied two coats of Minwax Early American stain.  I printed out the numbers I wanted to use and traced them onto the drawers with carbon paper again.  This time, I just used a black sharpie marker instead of a paint pen and it worked great.  I put a few coats of poly on.  For the finishing touch, I mod-podged some decorative paper in the drawers.  It was some fun vintage postcard paper I already had.  I love how it turned out!




Turned out cute, huh?  I think I've figured out that I really like these furniture makeovers.  They really don't take alot of work, but oh, the results!!!



4 comments:

  1. Super cute Erin! I LOVE the paper that you lined in the drawers! Such a great touch! I feel like I'm in a DIY slump! You need to help motivate me! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. I especially love the numbers, what an easy way to tell someone where something is. I now what all my dressers (esp the one in the kid's rooms) to have numbers on the drawers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! It looks so good in your room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello

    I wanted to let you know i have featured your tutorial to my blog for my top "Numbered" Projects of 2011
    i love your project great job and i wanted to share with my readers

    http://ourlittlenestonthelake.blogspot.com/2012/01/my-2011-top-ten-diy-numbered-furniture.html


    happy new year

    Lorena

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails